Some Thoughts at the Third Grade Music Concert

Just back from our third grade music concert and the kids did a really great job. Our music teacher is awesome, and so is the music teacher in the K-2 building. It’s a very musical school.

I can get sentimental and sappy. I know that. But when I saw some of the kids up on stage I couldn’t help but be extremely proud of the progress they have made this year, the way they’ve grown up. For one kid, tantrums are way down and a smile is often on his face.  Another is able to take criticism better and even is beginning to see that mistakes can “be our friends.” I see another whose passion for reading has grown so very much, and another three who have been writing a wonderful graphic novel in their “spare time.” Cool. Others still struggle, and all of them I can imagine the next steps we’d take together. If we had the chance.

The year is coming to and end. I feel it each year when the weather starts to turn warm. I can’t help but think of all the effort we’ve put in each year. We. The child and me. I remember one thing that Paul Freedman, who I met via the Cooperative Catalyst blog, said a few months ago in a comment on one of my previous posts. It’s stuck with me and probably always will:

“How did we decide that 9 months is the optimal length of time for a learning relationship? How much could be gained by keeping students with a teacher for several years at a time? All that time spent getting to know a student, his interests, skill levels, learning styles, preferred modalities, not to mention building a relationship with parents, etc. Then just as you’re getting going, it’s time to say goodbye, and welcome in the next batch of of 30. Exhausting.”

He’s right. It is exhausting. I thought of that as I watched the kids perform on stage. A mixture of pride, and exhaustion.

I had hoped to try to “loop” with the kids this year. I imagined what we could have accomplished with another year together, but it wasn’t allowed. Argh. Tough to accept.

Tonight, though, they did well. Cool beans.