Trying to be a “Force for Good”

I’ve blogged in the past (here and here and here) about whether or not our school district will purchase a reading basal program. It’s down to decision time and the decision isn’t an easy one.

A recent survey of our K-5 teaching staff (about 32 people took the survey) indicated strong support for a basal series, about 2/3 teachers wanted one. As you might have guessed, I’m in the 1/3 category. I’m disappointed, to be sure, but I want to be a positive force for change no matter what the outcome.

We abandoned a reading basal series several years ago and tried to go our own route. We adopted management practices like the Daily 5 and instructional practices based on the CAFE model. Most teachers now recognize these practices allowed students to do more actual reading in our classrooms than under the former basal approach. We purchased a book room full of real literature so we could do more small group reading. Most teachers recognize these resources have helped us find materials more quickly and easily. We created summer classes — attended by about 1/2 of the staff during various summers — that explored the Fountas and Pinnell Literacy Continuum, which was intended to give some common structures to the teaching.

Though I think we weren’t really clear about that at the time, the implicit goals were to build the capacity of teachers to make instructional decisions about individual learners. We believed that good teaching wasn’t necessarily bound by simple grade level expectations, but by a teacher’s knowledge of what needed to be done in order to bring a particular student the next steps. We believed what Richard Allington said: “Readers differ. Teachers matter.”

We could have done a better job of building a culture of collaboration and learning and, certainly, we could have done a better job of big-picture planning. Our literacy efforts have been derailed (wholly or in part) by many different initiatives that have come down the pike. I think that’s a problem with the way educational change happens.

So, I’m struck by the conundrum we’re in right now. While other districts are struggling to keep a reading workshop approach in a climate of increasing standardization, a sizable number of our teachers are voluntarily requesting a standardized approach to literacy. They are tired and want a break.

It would be nice if I could identify a group “out there” who is forcing us down the skill-based basal route. I know there are groups out there that are forcing standardized changes in other school districts. But I’m faced with the fact that we teachers are also the ones who can’t imagine a different outcome, who are tired out by years of uncertainty and a laser-beam focus on test scores instead of kids.

If we are to make large-scale changes, we need to figure out how to lead toward the kind of school we think is best for kids. On a personal level, I struggle with the fact that teachers in my school district are not supporting the changes that I think will build creative, flexible, and self-motivated learners. I need to work in a way that builds the capacity of the teaching staff to learn and grow from each other, rather than damages relationships and creates a bunker-like mentality.

I’m tired, too.

In our classroom of super-heroes, we try to be a force for good. So: To the phone booth.

NOTE: This is NOT an actual photograph of me attempting to be a super-hero.

Superman
Creative Commons License Photo Credit: T K via Compfight

2 thoughts on “Trying to be a “Force for Good”

1. Pingback: New Post at insidethedog.edublogs.org | inside the dog…

2. Pingback: A Close Read of our School’s Mission Statement